The Office of the Juvenile Defender (OJD) was created from a study in October 2003 exploring the quality of juvenile representation in North Carolina. As a result of this study, the IDS Juvenile Committee recommended the creation of the Juvenile Defender role and the office officially opened January 2005.
OJD’s mission is to provide services and support to juvenile defense attorneys, evaluate the current system of representation through observation of court, speaking with court officials and make recommendations as needed, while also elevating the stature of juvenile delinquency representation and working with juvenile justice advocates to promote positive change in the juvenile justice system.
To contact the Office of the Juvenile Defender please call 919-890-1650 and for a specific office member, please see below:
- Juvenile Defender Eric Zogry at 919-890-1640 or email him here.
- Assistant Juvenile Defender Kim Howes at 919-890-1641 or email her here.
- Assistant Juvenile Defender Terri Johnson at 743-999-1201 or email her here.
- Juvenile Project Attorney Austine Long at 919-890-1644 or email her here.
- Communications & Office Manager LaTobia Avent at 919-890-1650 or email her here.
Rules, Policies & Standards
- Determining the Methods of Indigent Legal Service Delivery in a Judicial District Jun 2002
- Employee Reimbursement Form May 2021
- Out-of-Court Foreign Language Interpreters & Translators Sep 2015
- Performance Guidelines for Attorneys Representing Juveniles in Delinquency Proceedings Dec 2007
- Review from Denial of Attorney Application for Local Indigent List or Removal from Local List Feb 2010
- Review of Decisions of the IDS Director or Designee Dec 2017